Friday 29 June 2012

The Late, Lamented WORD Magazine

The news today that the WORD magazine is to cease publication has come as a great blow, for staff, contributors and devoted readers alike. It was an outstanding magazine - I was already a long-standing fan before I started writing for it in 2008 - and sadly, undoubtedly, the last print publication of its kind. We simply will not see its like again. And that makes the world a slightly less interesting place.

On a purely personal note, I want to thank the great Mark Ellen and Kate Mossman for being two of the most open, enthusiastic and supportive editors I've ever worked with. And I'd also like to thank them for giving me the opportunity to interview at length the likes of Larry Charles, Armando Iannucci, Rob Brydon, Paul Whitehouse, Charlie Higson, Stewart Lee, Charlie Brooker, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and others I can't recall at the moment.

I'll post some of those interviews on this blog in due course.

So, goodbye, dear WORD. Writing for you was a genuine honour, and among those of us who care about what you were and represented, you will never be forgotten.

RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment